THE FIRST GREEN KEY AWARDEE IN CHINA AND HONG KONG
The hotel was awarded the leading standard of excellence in environmental responsibility and sustainable operation in the tourism industry
(Hong Kong, 20 June 2016) Green Key International today announced that The Royal Pacific Hotel & Towers has been recognized as the first Green Key hotel in Hong Kong and China,aprestigious recognition in green and sustainability awareness.
“We are impressed with the sustainability work The Royal Pacific Hotel & Towers has demonstrated through the well prepared application material and the onsite audit performed by SGS Hong Kong. We would like to extend a warm welcome to the hotel as the first Green Key hotel in China (Hong Kong),” says Finn Bolding Thomsen, Green Key International Director.
Since its launch in 1994, Green Key has been presented to more than 2,350 tourism businesses in over 50 countries. All hotels awarded the Green Key certification met the highest requirements related to environmental management and are audited based on their technical criteria related to maintenance and guest communications. Receiving this recognition signifies that The Royal Pacific Hotel & Towers is an international industry leader committed to protecting the environment.
In order to gain the Green Keycertification, The Royal Pacific Hotel & Towers has fulfilled a list of environmental requirements that cover a wide range of criteria from environmental demands to action plans, sustainability education and communications. The hotel has an outstanding performance in the following areas:
(1) Strategic environmental management: Aligned with the Sino Hotels’ Group Sustainability Policy, the hotel established its own Sustainability Team, which aims to review thegreen hospitality practices and to strategically improve its environmental performance on a continuous basis.
(2) Excellent performance in energy conservation and efficiency: The hotel installed high-efficiency energy lighting and appliances (e.g LED lighting, induction cookers, heat pump system), water control systems and key card system throughout the hotel.
(3) Leadership in waste management: The hotel is the pioneer in Hong Kong to initiate the Food Wise Programme and Hotel Amenities Recycling Programme, donating its surplus food and unused amenities (e.g. soap bars) to local charities and food banks on a weekly basis.
(4) Strong commitment to sustainability: The hotel has banned shark’s fin on all menus since 2012, and adheres to the local Sustainable Seafood Guide issued by World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Hong Kong to protect marine biodiversity.
(5) Proactive community involvement: For 5 consecutive years, volunteers from the hotel have joined hands with a local student group to design themed ‘Green Christmas decorations’ made of up-cycled materials, conveying the message of sustainable resources to the public.
(6) Working hand-in-hand with guests to build a better world: Guests staying more than one night are encouraged to participate in the hotel’s linen reuse programme, reducing the water consumption while minimising impacts of chemicals to Mother Earth.
(7)Continual green education: The hotel cultivates a sustainable and collaborative green culture in the working environment, facilitating staff to put green practice in their daily lives via regular trainings, green reminders and staff activities.
The Royal Pacific Hotel & Towers will continue to embrace environmental protection and corporate social responsibility within operations and will dedicate in promoting sustainability development with stakeholders.
The Royal Pacific Hotel & Towers has been recognized as the first Green Key hotel in Hong Kong and China, a prestigious recognition in green and sustainability awareness.
The accolade of being the first hotel awarded the Green Key certificate in China (Hong Kong) goes to all staff in the Hotel, who always put green practices into their work and daily lives.
The hotel has established an employee-led taskforce to regularly review the food waste management since 2012. The team makes on-going recommendations to minimize food waste in the areas of food production, processing and final disposal.
With the guests’ support, the hotel has successfully implemented a “Towel & Linen Green Programme” – encouraging guests to change the bed linens every 2 days and towels are changed upon request, since 2014. The programme reduces water consumption and chemicals.
To promote recycling to next generation, the volunteers from the hotel joined local students to develop some creative Christmas decorations made of up-cycled materials.
The Royal Pacific Hotel & Towers
Florence Yeung / Dorothy Chan
Tel: (852) 2738 2218 / 2738 2292
Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
About Green Key Award (www.greenkey.global)
The Green Key award is a leading standard of excellence in the field of environmental responsibility and sustainable operation within the tourism industry. This prestigious eco-label represents a commitment by businesses that their tourism establishments adhere to the strict criteria as stipulated by the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE). A Green Key stands for an establishment’s promise to its guests that by opting to stay with such an establishment, they are helping to make a difference on an environmental and sustainability level. The high environmental standards expected of these establishments are maintained through rigorous documentation and frequent audits.
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. With more than 80,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,650 offices and laboratories around the world. SGS reached a cooperation agreement with Green Key that recognizes SGS to conduct audit for the hotels in the areas without Green Key National Operators.
About The Royal Pacific Hotel & Towers & Sino Hotels
Located on Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon, the Royal Pacific Hotel and Towers provides high-quality accommodation, food & beverage, and other hospitality services. The hotel provides an enticing array of dining options, including Café on the PARK which serves all day buffets with global flavours, the award-winning Satay Inn which provides authentic Singaporean cuisine, the sleek and chic Pierside Bar & Restaurant known for its contemporary Australian fare, and PARK Deli which offers a tempting array of freshly-baked pastries. Other facilities include 8 function spaces to suit the needs of business and leisure travellers.
About Sino Hotels (www.sino-hotels.com)
Established in 1994, Sino Hotels is the hospitality management arm of Sino Group and an affiliate of Sino Land Company Limited (HKSE: 083). Its growing portfolio encompasses The Royal Pacific Hotel & Towers, City Garden Hotel, Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel, Island Pacific Hotel, The Pottinger Hong Kong, The Olympian Hong Kong and the Gold Coast Yacht & Country Club. While each property on its portfolio offers a unique guest experience, all hotels embrace the common value of providing the best possible services and facilities. A trusted brand in the hospitality industry, the hotels and yacht club cater to both business and leisure travellers while celebrating the local communities.